Assistant Professor, Biology
290B Woodward Hall, UNC Charlotte
Overview Academic/Research Interest Areas
- Diversity and patterns in protist reproduction and sexual cycles (mitosis, gametogenesis, mating types, dormancy)
- Ecological and adaptive significance of encystment and dormancy in Baltic Sea cold-water dinoflagellates
- DNA cell cycle analysis and nuclear phase characterization in protists
- Estimation of in situ growth rates and population loss factors in harmful algal blooms
- Morphological and molecular taxonomy and phylogeny of Crypthecodiniacea
- Culturing and feeding behavior of heterotrophic dinoflagellates
- Nutritional physiology of Cryptoperidiniopsis sp. and Pfiesteria spp.
- Influence of bacteria on toxicity of harmful algae
- Growth and toxicity in Euglena sanguinea, a freshwater alga associated with fish kills in North Carolina aquaculture ponds
- Burkholder JM, Hallegraeff GM, Melia G, Cohen A, Bowers HA, Oldach DW, Parrow MW, Sullivan MJ, Zimba PV, Allen EH, Kinder CA, Mallin MA (2007) Phytoplankton and bacterial assemblages in ballast water of U.S. military ships as a function of port of origin, voyage time, and ocean exchange practices. Harmful Algae 6:486-518.
- Glibert PM, Burkholder JM, Parrow MW, Lewitus AJ, Gustafson DE (2006) Direct uptake of nitrogen and nitrogen nutritional preferences by Pfiesteria piscicida and Pfiesteria shumwayae. Harmful Algae 5:380-394.
- Kremp A, Parrow MW (2006) Evidence for asexual resting cysts in the life cycle of the marine peridinoid dinoflagellate, Scrippsiella hangoei. Journal of Phycology 42:400-409.
- Lewitus AJ, Wetz MS, Willis BM, Burkholder JM, Parrow MW, Glasgow HB (2006) Grazing activity of Pfiesteria piscicida (Dinophyceae) and susceptibility to ciliate predation vary with toxicity status. Harmful Algae 5:427-434.
- Marshall HG, Hargraves PE, Burkholder JM, Parrow MW, Elbr?ter M, Allen EH, Knowlton VM, Rublee PA, Hynes WL, Egerton TA, Remington DL, Wyatt KB, Coyne KJ, Lewitus AJ, Henrich VC (2006) Taxonomy of Pfiesteria (Dinophyceae). Harmful Algae 5:481-496.
- B.S., Biology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1992
- Ph.D., Plant Biology with minor in Biotechnology, North Carolina State University, 2003
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, NCSU Center for Applied Aquatic Ecology, 2003 - 2006.